Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Loch Ness and Castle Uruqhart

It was Sara's main goal of Scotland to visit this loch steeped in myth and legend. Needless to say, I was on board.


There is a fortress on the cusp of the loch which has been owned by just about everyone and torn down and built up about a hundred times over the centuries.


The ruins were very cool (as all ruins are, especially castle ruins)


And provided some pretty cool views of the infamous Loch



The winding walls and green hills were beautiful in their own right



I tried to get artsy, framing my pictures of the loch and whatnot


I should probably keep my dayjob though


Climbed it  (both the parts we were allowed to and some we probably weren't)


Awwww look at how cute I am (photo rights to Sara Meltzer, ace photographer)


Winter is coming Bran Stark


Fly that Scottish Flag. Maybe next time they'll succeed. Then again, maybe not.



This is the view of the castle as we pulled out on our cruise.


You heard me. Our cruise on Loch Ness.


How cool is my life? Almost as cool as this photo of Castle Uruqhart from shipside.


The following photos may blow your mind. 
You have been warned.




It was absolutely frigid on the deck of the ship, but we didn't want to go inside and risk seeing Nessie 


(also the photo ops. See? I learned how to use Panorama on my phone!)


Loch Ness is unique both in its potentially Monstrous inhabitants and in its makeup. At it's longest and widest it is 22.5 miles long and 1.7 miles wide. 


The average depth is 433 feet. The max depth is 745 feet. That's really really deep.


Who knows what may be lurking down there?


Sightings of the Loch Ness Monster have been happening since 565 AD, and whether or not there's something down there, it gave Sara something to do while we crossed!


We managed to get there right at sunset, which was perfect for photo reasons.


We did end up finding Nessie though! Lookit how sweet she is.


Definitely a great trip, but unless they're offering diving in the loch I think I've had my fill of Nessie's home. Bucket List item unlock!


No comments:

Post a Comment